Applications are now open for the Genomics Champion role. This is a new and exciting role aimed to improve genomic awareness throughout the workforce.
Genomics Champions will be responsible for raising awareness, disseminating information and supporting the mainstreaming of genomics in their local area. GPW is seeking a diverse group of healthcare professionals across all disciplines, health boards and trusts in Wales, who have a passion to be part of the genomics revolution. We envisage that this will be a fixed term appointment for 12 months in the first instance.
Are you passionate about the power of genomics to revolutionise personalised treatment for patients in Wales? Are you able to share and communicate your knowledge in a clear and accessible way?
If yes, why not become a Genomics Champion! To be a champion you do not need to be an expert in genomics – all you need to do is express your interest by sending a personal statement (no more than 500 words) and a supporting letter from your line manager as to why you think you would be a good Genomics Champion to Rebecca Hopes, Genomics Training & Education Lead (Rebecca.Hopes@wales.nhs.uk). An informal phone call will then be arranged.
As a Genomics Champion you will be required to:
- Participate in an induction programme, attend bi-annual meetings and join monthly teleconferences (equivalent of five days per year, supported by your Health Board or Trust
- Raise awareness of genomics amongst your colleagues in your clinical setting and build interdepartmental relationships
- Provide a local point of contact for anyone with a genomics query within your area
- Share genomics information with your colleagues as it becomes available
- Identify gaps where genomics-related training packages need to be provided, either at a general level or specific to a clinical area
- Share genomics information with staff to develop an understanding of what genomics is and what it means for them, in relation to their patients
- Contribute to the development of toolkits and educational material about genomics across multiple platforms, to meet the needs of the wider workforce
- Contribute to the Genomics Champion steering group
Genomics Champion will:
- Lead by example and nurture colleagues
- Communicate effectively within their local area and across the organisation
- Seek and gather feedback from colleagues for wider discussion
- Enthuse about genomics and ‘fly the flag’ for patient benefit
- Create innovative approaches around integrating new ideas into everyday care
- Adapt at short notice and demonstrate flexibility
- Influence genomics education and practice in their local area
What we offer:
- A full induction programme
- Regular CPD sessions
- A supportive network of other Genomics Champions and GPW staff
- A mentor for each Champion
- An opportunity to be involved in the wider work of the Genomics Strategy
- A Genomics Champion badge or lanyard
The closing date for applications is 31st December 2019.